Who we are!
DIAL (LEEDS) was established in 1979 as a Disabled People’s User Led Organisation (DPULO).
The Management Committee, paid staff and volunteers are mostly disabled people who have a wide range of impairments and long term conditions. Others are either carers, older people or have another personal or professional interest in being involved in the organisation.
We aim to be representative of the people who use, or are likely to use our services including people with: physical or sensory impairments, learning disabilities/difficulties, mental health issues or long-term conditions.
DIAL (LEEDS) Management Committee:
As a DPULO the DIAL (LEEDS) Management Committee is a team of “experts by experience” – with lived experienced of various impairments and long-term health conditions alongside non-disabled people with business, financial and management skills.
We are in the process of organisational development and new ventures to ensure our future sustainability.
Our work has its roots in the social model of disability and on ensuring equality and diversity.
The DIAL (LEEDS) model of service delivery is peer support where disabled people come together to support and provide services for other disabled people.
DIAL (LEEDS) offers friendly safe and supportive environment for all disabled people. We do this through direct lived experience.
The services we offer are:
- Not for profit – any surplus income is used to develop and deliver more and better services for disabled people
- Personalised and flexible – tailored to the needs of the individual disabled person
- Impartial – always in the best interests of the individual disabled person
DIAL (LEEDS) exists to:
- Ensure that disabled people are not disadvantaged through a lack of knowledge of their rights or the awareness of available opportunities
- Provide support when necessary to enable disabled people to express their needs and wishes effectively
We aim to overcome discrimination and disadvantage faced by disabled people by raising awareness of abilities and rights.
Everything that we do is geared towards independent living, inclusion and empowerment. Our work is all about maximising choice and control for people over their lives.
The DIAL (LEEDS) vision is for inclusive and supportive communities through ‘A people’s place – for all to grow!’
This will be a vibrant independent service user led centre of excellence for opportunities, health and wellbeing.
Increasing demands on the community and voluntary sector for holistically meeting the health, social care and other needs of disabled people including supporting the most vulnerable in our society, means this vision is more important than before.
Our future mission is to meet these needs and responsibilities through direct support services and also by enabling self-reliance as well as harnessing the power of community and peer support networks.
What we do:
PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR DISABILITY ADVICE LINE CLOSED ON THE 31st MARCH 2017! Please see the Disability Information and Advice Service page for more details.
DIAL (LEEDS) LIMITED – Support for disabled people by disabled people.
“A helping hand from someone who understands …… “
DIAL (LEEDS) plans to offer the following services from April 2017 via dedicated grants and project funding. To start with some services will not be available to all disabled people in Leeds. There are likely to be some that can only be provided for residents of specific areas or those who are facing food and fuel poverty. We will keep you updated as and when more funding becomes available for our work with individuals.
- Peer Support
- One to one assistance (including help with forms, phone calls, letters, emails and accessing & negotiating with agencies and services)
- Help with getting ready for and attending meetings, appointments and assessments
- Income maximisation and benefits health checks
- Food poverty assistance
- Fuel poverty support and assistance
- Energy efficiency and safety advice and support
- Health and wellbeing initiatives
- Happiness Cafe (subject to fundraising)
- Information Prescriptions (Subject to fundraising)
Social Enterprise (pay for services)
- Wheelchair and walking equipment hire
- Disability equipment sales
- Radar (NKS) toilet key sales
- Talks/presentations, information and awareness sessions
- Workshops and training sessions
- Leaflet and factsheets production assistance
- Policies and procedures design assistance
- Bespoke services (contact us to discuss your needs)
We spend time with disabled people to help them explore and understand their situations. Then together we find the right options and solutions. Our support is personally tailored to individual needs and wishes.
Policy and influencing work:
As well as the services we offer for individuals, we also aim to influence wider service provision and policy and decision making in terms of the needs and aspirations of disabled people. This is a longer term process to support service development so we can help bring about changes and improvements that will benefit all disabled people rather than dealing only with our clients issues in isolation.
DIAL (LEEDS) is a member of the following forums, networks and groups to enable us to make representations that give disabled people a stronger voice:
- Disability Rights UK
- Forum Central (Leeds)
- Leeds Food Aid Network
- Making it Real Development Group
- Physical and Sensory Impairment Network (Leeds)
- Tribunal User Group
- Yorkshire and Humber TUC Disabilities Forum
- Welfare Reform Strategy Board (Leeds)
HOW TO HELP!
If you would like to help us continue our important work of supporting disabled people in Leeds by donating you can do this by giving directly or by using the “MyDonate” button at the top left of the this page.
We have also just registered DIAL (LEEDS) LIMITED on givingabit.com.
Come and join us & you can create donations for us at no extra cost to you just by shopping online. givingabit is partnered with hundreds of your favourite shops, so please sign up today at www.givingabit.com.
If you would like to read the DIAL (LEEDS) fundraising statement please click here
If you would like to see our upcoming fundraising activities please click here
This is the new DIAL (LEEDS) website. It is still being developed.
We would like to know what works well and what is not so good.
Please tell us what you think of it so far and what else you would like to see!